CAMP, Campbell, and Candles!


 Have you ever been sitting around thinking to yourself, man I really wish I had a candle that reminded you of that classic Campbell’s chicken noodle soup... I'm willing to bet that you never have and neither have I. However, now you can not only think about it but act upon it. Get yourself a candle made from the creative minds of CAMP  smelling like Campbell's famous chicken noodle soup; if chicken noodle soup isn’t your cup of soup don't worry they also have a tomato soup and grilled cheese scent.

When I first read about Campbell releasing candles, I immediately thought back to when Mcdonalds did the same thing a few years ago and not only how ridiculous the idea was but also how successful it was in drawing interest and promoting McDonalds in general. I think that Campbell's is trying to replicate not only the campaign but hopefully the success that McDonalds received in response to their campaign. They started this campaign to help recover some of the revenue they have lost out on over the course of this pandemic. Campbell's numbers like a lot of companies during the pandemic have been down, as they have been having issues with labor shortages and supply chain. Campbell has been actively aiming over the past few years to become more modern with marketing techniques whilst still maintaining the classic feel and traditions that they are known for.

Everyone knows that Campbell is known worldwide as a soothing relaxing brand that makes people feel comfortable and cozy with their heartwarming soups. However many don't know about the company they are partnering with, CAMP which is a relatively new company founded in 2018 with the goal to solve every family's problem of what to do. CAMP provides a plethora of solutions to this extremely common problem, ranging from toys to activities to get the whole family engaged.

In addition to these candles they are releasing a guide to connect parents and children with games, recipes, and arts and crafts. It is the perfect time to release a campaign centered around things to do inside with your family as with the pandemic continuing to rage on, families are not only confined to their homes but also at the mercy of the winter weather. Not only is this campaign a new exciting twist on candles but also for interacting with your friends and family. This campaign is also helping support a good cause with 10% of the net profits given to the Feeding America cause.

Some challenges of this campaign are certainly the scents of said candles as I don't know how many people will be interested in having their house smell like tomato soup. The pandemic is also a concern for this project as many people have become more frugal with how they spend their money and spending $24 on a candle may not be something they are willing or able to do.

As I mentioned earlier I have seen this marketing approach just once before with McDonalds and their Quarter Pounder scented candles and from my knowledge it was a hit and helped drive sales of McDonald's up. I think Campbell's hopping on this trend is a great idea as it has already been proven to at the least increase publicity and awareness of a brand. This campaign is going to appeal to exactly who they are aiming for, which in this case are families that already purchase Campbell products and those who have grown up using Campbell products. I really enjoy that it is a light hearted campaign for a heart warming brand. They don’t go over the top with their marketing with it, they just provided a fun 17 second video showing parents and children opening the candles and smelling them.

If I were the two companies I would go into greater detail about the contents of the "Winter Warmup Guide" and tell what some recipes may be and make it more desirable by selling what the guide is and why it's something that the potential buyers would want to have. I would also release more as they are only planning to sell 2,000 candle packages.

Overall I learned a lot about not only CAMP but Campbell and things that both companies value. I did not realize just how much Campbell gives back to those in need and definitely makes me want to support their business more. I didn't even know CAMP was a business but after reviewing them they seem to be a very interesting company that would be a very fun and nice experience, unfortunately for myself they aren't located on the West coast.... yet. Only time will tell if this campaign will succeed however after reading into it I am confident that it will help both companies gain more attention and more revenue. Now you will have to excuse me as all this writing has got me hungry for some Campbell's chicken noodle soup, so this is goodbye for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Social Listening: Duolingo